TREE WALK

A few weeks ago I took a walk in a( new to me) part of Durand Park. I found many visual delights and found images of tree spirits, and photographed many. I am in the process of painting one of these images for an up coming show. I will down load some of my photos.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

TREE SPIRITS





My current series of paintings and prints are of tree spirits. I have been photographing trees for about ten years. Roots, tree holes and bark have all captured my attention, but presently, I have seen tree spirits in my photographs. I make work prints first, then, simplified sketches. I scale up my sketch and transfer it to my canvas. Then the fun begins. I paint over my pencil line using thinned gauache paint and a lettering brush. When I do this the line alters some. For me, there is a big difference between my dry lines and my wet lines. My wet lines are more fluid and confident.
Blocking in color happens rather quickly. With much contemplation, my paintings always tell me what colors they want to be. Color has been a passion of mine for a very long time. I had a professor who told me I needed to limit my color.....I decided not to follow his advice...and have been a colorist ever since, so I guess I could thank him for my palette beginnings.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great... Can't wait to follow your process oh wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love colour so am very excited to see what you do with Creative Tuesdays. BTW, I will go and fix your link sign in as you have commas instead of dots for your web address.

    anyway, nice to meet you and welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete

TREE SPIRIT IN PROGRESS

TREE SPIRIT IN PROGRESS